A home on Fiddlers Run was left uninhabitable following a fire that originated from an unattended burning menorah, according to the Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention.

Township Bureau of Fire Prevention Chief Inspector Kevin Esposito said the fire had been reported at 9:42 p.m. on December 15.

Esposito said, the homeowner attempted to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher but the extinguisher would not discharge.

  A small fire was witnessed in the first-floor window by Pleasant Plains Fire Chief Dan Roman. As he grabbed an extinguisher to go into the home, a fireball exploded, breaking the windows on both floors.

  As the fire expanded to the second floor, Roman called for assistance and crews from Silverton Fire Company and Toms River Fire Company 2 responded to help Pleasant Plains battle the blaze.

  Esposito said the crews stretched handlines to the first and second floors and were able to quickly extinguish the fire before any further damage occurred. There were no injuries but the Red Cross of New Jersey said it helped the family of six find temporary shelter, along with clothing and food.

  The cause of the fire was blamed on the unattended Hanukkah menorah according to Esposito, Inspector Charles Bauer of the Bureau of Fire Prevention determined the fire from the menorah originated on the first floor of the home. Officials deemed the structure unsafe.

  Esposito added, “candles, menorahs, incense and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes during the holiday season. It is really important that you never leave a candle or menorah unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

  He also made several safety recommendations:

  • Place your menorah on a sturdy, non-flammable surface. Your menorah, especially when lit, should rest on a stable fixture in your home.
  • Keep the menorah and matches out of children’s reach: Make sure that your menorah is positioned in a place where your children can enjoy it but is out of their reach, so they don’t hurt themselves. Be sure to store all matches and lighters safely after each candle lighting; kids may find them if left out.
  • Place menorah out of reach of pets. Keep your menorah at a height where they can’t get their paws on it.
  • Never walk around with lit candles. Choose the area of your home where your menorah will be lit, then keep it there. Do not carry your menorah from room to room to avoid potentially dropping it.

  Fire officials urged that menorahs be placed in a secluded area of the home. It is important to keep the menorah out of the home’s general flow of traffic to avoid accidentally knocking it over.

— Original Story Sourced from Menorah Fire Causes Destruction Of Home | Jersey Shore Online