Atlantic City: Investigation into May Rioting/Looting Incident Update- 95 Charged with Crimes
For Immediate Release: August 6, 2020

The Atlantic City Police Department announces 95 individuals have been charged as a result of an exhaustive investigation conducted by members of this department following rioting and looting that occurred in May.

The investigation stemmed from rioting and looting that took place throughout Atlantic City’s business district following a protest on May 31 and the days following. Towards the conclusion of the protest, individuals within the crowd marched down Atlantic Avenue and began to smash windows of businesses, steal merchandise and damage property. Individuals began to arrive to damaged stores in cars, run inside, and steal items. Officers arrested 17 people during the hours-long event.

Chief Henry White immediately convened a group of officers to create a task force to investigate and charge those responsible for their criminal actions.

Investigators initially reviewed thousands of hours of video recorded coverage from public and private cameras and social media. Through the videos, investigators were able to locate individuals involved in criminal activity. Photographs were provided to law enforcement personnel who identified suspects.

On June 30, the police department, seeking the assistance of the public, released photographs of more than 200 people that needed to be identified who were involved in criminal acts. Within minutes, tips were being provided by the community identifying individual photographs. Several individuals who saw their photograph turned themselves in.

Investigators followed up on each received tip, conducted interviews, and dealt directly with the 57 stores that sustained damaged property and/or stolen merchandise. A final estimate is not known, but the loss to the businesses affected by this incident is several million dollars.

In the days after the initial criminal activity, stores that had been burglarized continued to sustain damage and thefts as individuals pulled plywood off the doors and stole merchandise. These incidents were also investigated.

“The Atlantic City Police Department has remained steadfast in our support of those who exercise their First Amendment rights, including the right to peacefully protest, however, we will not idly standby as individuals commit crimes against our City,” said Chief Henry White. “Those that think they can come to Atlantic City and commit crimes that directly impact our businesses and residents will be held accountable. Although we are announcing these charges today, this investigation will remain open until we can identify every person on our list. We greatly appreciate the support of the community in providing tips that greatly assisted this investigation.”

“I congratulate the Atlantic City Police Department for their tireless work in investigating the criminal activity that occurred in the City in May,” said Mayor Marty Small Sr. “I want all residents and businesses in Atlantic City, as well as all visitors to our community, to know that Atlantic City will never accept or tolerate the kind of lawlessness that occurred at that time, and that everyone who was involved in the destruction of property and other illegal activity will be prosecuted vigorously and to the fullest extent of the law. We are very proud of the businesses in our City and we will continue to afford them every possible protection from any conduct of this kind.”

Anyone with additional information is urged to contact the Atlantic City Police Department at 609-343-3771 or email [email protected] Information can be text to tip411 (847411). Begin the text with ACPD. All texts are anonymous.

For a list of individuals charged, go to https://www.tip411.com/alerts/77206.

Atlantic City Gov