Press Release
Child Abuse
Animal cruelty

On 07/11/2019 at approximately 12:45pm , Berkeley Township Patrol Units responded to an address on Speightstown Place in the Holiday City section of the township for a report of an infant child that was in a vehicle with the windows up and engine off. A Parcel delivery driver had noticed a child crying inside an unattended vehicle. The driver immediately called 9-1-1.

Patrolman Michael Drybola responded and found the child in the vehicle with three dogs. The vehicle was not running and the windows were up . The temperature for the day was in excess of 85 degrees. Ptl. Drybola immediately removed the infant from the overheated vehicle and brought her to his vehicle to cool her body down as she was drenched in sweat and crying. Patrolman Drybola also removed the dogs from the vehicle.

Other officers arrived but could not immediately locate anyone who might have been caring for the child .

After a few moments a care giver emerged from the residence just as first aid units arrived. The care giver, identified as Doreen Orlich 52 of Whitesville Road Toms River, identified herself as the child’s grandmother.

Ms. Orlich was at the Speightstown Lane address taking care of friend’s pets and left the infant in the vehicle while she was in the residence for an undetermined amount of time.

The infant was transported to Community Medical Center as a precaution along with Ms. Orlich.

Once at CMC the Division of Child Protection and Permanency was called and immediately responded to CMC. Berkeley Detective Michael O’Connor also responded to continue the investigation.

As a result, Orlich was charged with one count of cruelty or neglect of a child in the 4th degree, along with three counts animal cruelty in the 4th degree. Orlich was released in accordance with NJ Bail Reform.

Also assisting was Sergeant William Cullen and Patrolman Michael Sasso.

Berkeley Township Police Detective Peter Larocca told Jersey Shore Online that the baby was checked out by doctors at Community and released. The dogs were not injured and safely went with other family members.